Sunday, July 09, 2006

What happened to the boots?

This past July 4, I watched the parade in Lubbock, Texas. Sitting on the sidewalk, I was able to watch the floats, the bands, lots of flags and people's feet. It was alarming to notice that, aside from flip-flops, almost 100% of the people wore sneakers. There must have been every brand and style of plastic footwear in attendance. Probably all were imported. The only boots I saw among spectators were on my own feet.

C'mon! We're in Texas... home of Justin, Tony Lama, Nokona and numerous other brands of western footwear.

You do not have to be a cowboy to like cowboy boots. When I first moved to the southwest in 1949, I quickly found that I was having to stop frequently and dump sand from my shoes. And to occasionally pull a goathead (a little sand burr sticker that actually looks like a tiny goat's head) from my socks. That's when I switched to cowboy boots. Problem solved! I've been wearing them ever since. I currently have six pair, including two brand new pair... all purchased in Texas!

During the 2004 presidential election campaign, President Bush visited our city. He said it was good to be in a place where there were "more boots than suits". Actually, not all that many people in that audience were wearing boots, either, and I thought to myself, "the president thinks he is still in Texas." I mean... aren't cowboy boots the preferred footwear of Texans?

At the Fourth of July parade I witnessed in Lubbock, Texas, I just expected to see more boots. I saw sneakers.

Has PETA driven leather out of the footwear market?

In addition to keeping sand out of your shoes and goatheads out of your socks, cowboy boots are very comfortable. Plus, with all leather construction, they are actually cooler than footwear with rubber, plastic or composition soles.

While in Texas for the Fourth, I heard a song called "My New Tony Lamas" on a country music radio station. That song described a whole new reason for wearing cowboy boots. Check it out. Then buy yourself a pair of boots and ditch those ugly sneakers!

No comments: