Thursday, May 28, 2009


So, what does it do
to your hair???

We were going out of town for a long weekend. In our dishwasher, unwashed, were the dishes from last night's dinner and the morning's breakfast. No one wants to come home to a dishwasher full of dirty dishes, so we loaded the Glass Magic and Cascade, set the controls to Normal Wash, hit the start button and left.

Arriving home four days later we were surprised to find the dishes, not sparkling clean, but covered with a hazy coating. My wife wondered if we should call the Maytag repairman. I wondered if something had interrupted the machine's wash cycle, allowing the dishes to dry in soapy water.

We re-loaded the detergent and re-started the machine. At the end of cycle number two, there was no change. Glassware was still cloudy. Plates and dishes felt slippery. I wiped one glass with a paper towel and the stuff came off, but not entirely, it still left an oily coating.Then I saw a suspect. Before leaving town, I had emptied a pump bottle of Dove Hair Conditioner in the shower. After shaking out all the material possible, my wife looked at the well-made pump bottle and allowed that there may be some future life for this item. She rinsed it and stuck it in the dishwasher along with the dirty dishes. It was the residual hair conditioner that had left a coating on the dishes.

We now discarded the hair conditioner bottle, but it took two more cycles to get things clean.So, what does this stuff do to your hair? I've often wondered just what they meant by "conditioning" your hair. Now I know - it coats it with an oily substance! And I thought I was through with an oily head when I gave up on Vaseline Hair Tonic! It makes sense. We've all seen a small child with freshly shampoo'd but "unconditioned" hair which static charge causes to stand wildly on end. Oiling it down makes it lie down. Makes it shine. Keeps it from tangling.

Good stuff for your hair. Just keep it out of your dishwasher!

Posted by Sam Bradley - 5/27/2009 10:21:00 AM 2 comments

No comments: