Sunday, June 27, 2010

Suppose...

Generals Stanley McChrystal and David Patreus and a few other top officers were talking about the twin wars in Iraq and Afghanistan... and the problems with the Palestinians and the Pakistanis and Iran and all the other Arab crazies, and said - strictly off the record - "This civilian team is going to cause us to lose it all. We have to do something."

The group agrees they can't do anything about Obama or Biden, that will take an election. But neither Holbrooke or Eikenberry were elected, they can start with them!

But, someone said, "We cannot make a frontal assault on the team. Any officer that tries that is sure to be demoted."

Then McChrystal says, "To hell with it! I'll take the demotion. These guys have to go." And someone counters, "But... if you just flat out tell them they are idiots, you'll get the demotion but they will stay. How can we swing it so that you take the demotion and they get the boot as well?"

McChrystal says, "Suppose I say they are idiots in a way that is not a frontal assault, but more like a slip-of-the-tongue. Maybe I will get the demotion but public pressure will force their exit!"

Someone adds, "Maybe. But if you take the demotion, who will take your place? Who will be acceptable as your replacement?"

Patreus jumps in, "I've got it! Hell, I'll take the demotion, too. But I won't attack the team up front. When you make the slip-of-the-tongue that gets you canned, Obama will be hard pressed to find a replacement whom anyone will accept... except me. But, that will be a demotion for me... and I haven't done a thing to deserve it. Which means I will have a big bargaining chip! So I will say, "Okay... I'll take that job... but I want something for it. For starters, I want Holbrooke and Eikenberry gone."

As usual, David Patreus has the right answer. Now to arrange that slip-of-the-tongue. It has to be sort of 'second hand', like through a reporter.

Now, of all the news organizations wanting in-depth access, who is most likely to blow a slip all out of proportions?


Just supposing, of course!

No comments: