Sunday, August 03, 2014

An evening with an ancestor


Think of one of your long gone ancestors. Imagine they could come back to spend one evening with you. What would you most like to show them?

My paternal grandfather died in 1937. I remember him when I was a child. If a small airplane flew overhead, he would look up at the sky and mutter, "I'd just as soon he flew over someone else's house!". I think it would be great fun to take him aboard a Boeing 747 jumbo jet. How may he react?

My father died in 1968. Dad had a very curious mind. And he had an unyielding urge to solve problems quickly. If he heard a new squeak or rattle when he drove his car, he would want to pull over onto the shoulder and try to find the source.

He had the same sense of urgency for learning the correct meaning of new words, and kept one of those huge unabridged dictionaries at hand. How I would like to demonstrate the internet for him. Not only could we find the meaning of a word lightning fast, we could hear a speaker correctly pronounce the word... something his great dictionary could not do.

No comments: