Saturday, September 03, 2005

Are Gas Prices Really High?

When I was a kid, in the 1930s, regular gasoline was 10 cents a gallon. During World War Two I worked at a filling station when gasoline sold for 15.9 cents - a price fixed by government controls. My salary was $17. a week, which computes to 42.5 cents per hour. For one hour's work, I could buy about two and two thirds gallons of gas.

Yesterday I filled up for $2.89 a gallon. To compare that to 1944, I would have to earn only about $7.73 and hour to buy the same amount of gas for one hour's work.

In 1944, I drove a 1930 Model A Ford. I do not remember how many miles per gallon that car delivered, but I don't think it was any better than the 21 or 22 miles I get from a gallon in my present car.

I feel better already!

No comments: