Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More problems with changing definitions

I know it is a product of aging, but when you have accepted the definition of a word for decades - or for a lifetime - it scrapes on the edge of your nerves when someone changes that definition.

One that irritates me is the now universal practice of calling a serious TV news program a "Show"! To me, Show means Barnum and Bailey, proprietors of The Greatest Show On Earth!

In my day, we called a newscast a newscast or perhaps just a report. I think it robs your effort of dignity when you say "At the end of our show, we will..... ", or "on tomorrow's show we will... ".

The other word that more people are using is in reference to politicians who belong to the Democrat party. You know what it is... Democratic! Columnists and reporters I love now talk about the Democratic Caucus, or the Democratic majority! Can't you just, please, refer to them as Democrats. Increasingly, they demonstrate that they are anything but democratic!

If I were to start a new political party, I might call it the Virtues. Then maybe people would refer to us as Virtuous.

Probably not!

No comments: