Wednesday, March 09, 2011

One more scream!

I get a little tired of hearing young TV pundits state that "seniors" want to cut spending until you mention Social Security, then they scream. Well, friends, they have a right to scream.

We didn't ask for Social Security. When I turned 13 and took my first job away from the family farm, I was told I had to have a social Security Card... and, it was FREE! So the government tapped into every paycheck I ever earned... for fifty years. As employers most of our adult life, my wife and I paid both the employee and the employer half to FICA.

"But, you are drawing more than you paid in!", they insist. My friend, the dollars we paid in were closer to real, unlike the dollars we're being paid today. In 1941, one of my dollars would buy over six gallons of gasoline. It would buy 12.5 quarts of milk. Or 24 White Castle hamburgers. Or 3 hot roast beef sandwiches.

And we worked hard for those dollars! My first job was pruning and tying tomato plants for 8¢ per 100 plants. Then I worked a dairy delivery route (5:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.) for $2. a day. Until I entered the Army, no job ever paid more than 42¢ an hour.

Also, as an employer, I paid thousands out of my pocket in state unemployment compensation. The only time I ever drew unemployment pay was when I was discharged from the Army. They offered me $20 a week for a maximum of 52 weeks. Today people get 99 weeks - almost two years at something near their last full pay.

In 1941, it took $33.85 to buy an ounce of gold. Today it will take $1,430 to buy that ounce. That is how much the government has devalued the dollar. If my monthly Social Security check were divided by that same ratio, it would be about $28.! Still sound like I am drawing more than I paid?

All those dollars we paid Social Security were supposed to be safely locked in an interest-bearing account. We trusted the government to invest those dollars wisely. Instead they stole our money to buy votes. Then they borrowed trillions more, to buy more votes. Now they want us to "sacrifice" to pay back their debt.

I know it is not going to happen, but I would like to see hundreds of politicians thrown in jail for armed robbery. Yes, armed! Refuse to pay your taxes and see who comes to call! They will be armed.

No comments: