Saturday, March 26, 2011

Words.

Once a friend and I were discussing the definition of certain words. He reminded me that a dictionary is more a history book than a rule book. Definitions given are based on how words are being used, so definitions will change.

Sometimes I find those changes amusing.

The German company Bayer is currently airing a TV commercial for their aspirin. In this commercial an airline passenger asks an attendant if she has anything to relieve back pain. She gives him Bayer aspirin. He explains that he is not having a heart attack... he has back pain. She replies that aspirin works for pain.

I am an old man. All my life I have used aspirin as a pain reliever or to reduce fever.

But, some researcher pointed out that aspirin also slows the clotting of blood. Under certain conditions, this fact can help prevent a blood clot from forming and moving into the heart muscle - which event could cause a heart attack. This power of aspirin has been widely promoted of late: "an aspirin regimen can help prevent a heart attack". Why not? an "aspirin regimen" means taking an Aspirin daily... sells a lot of Aspirin!

Does Bayer now actually believe people no longer know that aspirin's first use has always been as a pain reliever?

Gives me a headache. Anyone have an aspirin?

No comments: