Sunday, October 21, 2012

I Love Mathematics

More correctly, I should say I love numbers. Education-wise, I am 100 miles short of being a mathematician. My schooling went only as far as trigonometry and that was long ago. Today I could hardly distinguish a cosine from a co-signer!

My college professor son tells me that college freshmen bust their butts selecting a course of study as far as possible from mathematics. That is sad and I lay the blame on our primary education system. They barely skim the principles of mathematics as they hurry through a social-studies-heavy curriculum, and if a student fails to grasp one "step" in math, he is in trouble with everything that follows. Most kids graduate high school deathly afraid of mathematics.

I love math because two and two are always four. How cool is that! Plus, numbers are fun. You can play endless games with numbers and the numbers are always reliable. But math is not taught the fun way. It is taught in a complex, boring way.

Let's consider simple multiplication. Suppose you want to multiply 16 times 16. Surely you need pencil and paper for that. Wrong! Take a closer look at the numbers. In Spanish, 16 is pronounced diez y seis, which translates to "ten and six"... exactly what 16 means in English, 10 and 6.

So, 16 times 16 means 10 & 6 times 10 & 6. Now 10 times 16 = 160. 6 times 10 = 60. 6 times 6 = 36. 160 + 60 + 36 is 256, the correct answer. Anyone can figure that without pencil and paper. None of this "write down the 6 and carry the three; 6 times 1 is 6, add the 3 and write down the 9, etc. Can you imagine a more convoluted way to do it? I can't!

Also, numbers can make patterns that are fully predictable. I was born on November 6, 1928, the first Tuesday in that November. That was a presidential election day in the U.S.  A calendar year is 365 days, an odd number. Thus, in each year, any given date will fall on a later day of the week than in the previous year. If New Year's Day falls on Sunday in one year, it will fall on Monday the next year, Tuesday the next, etc.

How often, then, should my birthday fall on a presidential election day? Every seventh year? No, because of leap years. Every fourth year we make the calendar year a day longer, which must figure into our numbers pattern. My birthday, then, will fall on the first Tuesday in November every 7 times 4 years, or every 28 years: 1928, 1956, 1984, and 2012.

And, coincidentally, every year that my birthday fell on presidential election day, a Republican was elected: 1928, Herbert Hoover; 1956, Dwight Eisenhower; 1984, Ronald Reagan, and 2012, Mitt Romney?

I love numbers!

No comments: