Sunday, September 29, 2013

Affordable Care Act


Each time I read that title for that piece of legislation, I shake my 84-year-old head.

Are we really that stupid? Do we really believe the government can provide health care, affordable or otherwise?

Health care is provided by a professional health care provider. Not by politicians, insurance companies, or anyone else.

What good is it to have some third party willing to pay the bill if there is no one to provide the care and present the invoice?

Some 45 years ago, I was heavily involved in private flying. At the time, avionics (electronic communications and navigation equipment), at least those brands with a proven record of reliability, were quite expensive. Then, some manufacturer introduced a lower-priced version of one item. A close friend, a seasoned charter pilot and flight instructor, would have nothing to do with the lower priced equipment. But, I argued, it comes with a guarantee! "Supposing", he replied, "I am flying somewhere in the middle of the night and the thing fails? What should I do... pull out that guarantee, wave it at the failed equipment, and demand that it respond?"

If the ACA is fully implemented and I become ill, can I wave my insurance policy in the air and produce a medical professional to provide care?

Our government wishes to provide medical care to millions more people, while enforcing policies destined to reduce the number of care providers.

Again, I ask... "Are we really that stupid?"

No comments: