Thursday, September 19, 2013

In our music, our entertainment,


you find a snapshot of current social norms. Change those norms, and our music, our entertainment follows.

If you are old enough, you may remember a song titled "My Reverie", wherein a portion of the lyric read:

"...I dim all the lights and I sink in my chair - The smoke from my cigarette climbs through the air..."

Or, a song called Dream:

"Just watch the smoke rings rise in the air, you'll find your share of memories there..."

How about Two Sleepy People:

" ...here we are, out of cigarettes, holding hands and yawning, my how late it gets"

Those songs are gone because they made smoking sound too delightful (which it was until we learned the ravages of lung cancer).

From my childhood, I remember a song which said "Every old crow thinks her baby's white as snow..." 
On the farm, we considered crows a thieving bird. Someone once estimated how much corn a crow would eat in one year's time. We angered, loaded the shotgun and went crow hunting. But that song told us that a mother crow saw her fledgling as, not a thief, but pure as the driven snow. Motherly love.

But, folks came to believe it meant that "white" is better than "black" (the color of crow feathers). The song was racist, had to go.

Do you remember Amos and Andy?  It was a radio sitcom with a white cast acting in a stereotypical way as blacks. I saw the comedy as funny, clean, not degrading. But it was a white cast, acting black. Today, black performers act in a much more stereotypical, often derogatory, often vulgar way. But, it is a cast of blacks poking fun of blacks, which makes it okay.

There was a time when there was not so much hate, a time when most were too busy earning a living to worry about having their feelings hurt... a time when we all recognized our own silly habits and we laughed at ourselves as much as we laughed at each other.

There was a time when our popular music, our popular entertainment reflected those feelings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Al Joelson, is favorite of mine he sang songs that were much loved in their day. Sonny Boy, Mammy, Toot Toot Tootsie Good Bye and they were songs you could learn and sing. Some where through the passing years I became a racist because I still liked his work that hurt me because a good song was still a good song

Bryan Dawkins
10/27/2013