Saturday, March 15, 2014

Time to get real.


In 1973, a radio station where I worked hired an artist to design some promotional material for the station. That artist drew a depiction of what he thought I looked like:
Okay, so I have used the drawing as my profile picture. Fair enough? Actually, his drawing was made from an earlier photograph:

You can judge the quality of his work. But, that was 40 years ago. It seems kind of silly to continue to use a 40-year-old drawing for my profile picture, so I changed it today: No more deejay. No more microphone. While I do occasionally record a commercial, I am more often found at my computer, so here is a more realistic picture of me, today: This is my new profile picture.


Actually, this picture is two years old. I don't have anything more recent. I was always the guy behind the camera, rarely in front.

Anyway, this looks more like an opinionated old man, which is what I profess to be.

Yes, that is a Livestrong bracelet on my right wrist. Recently I was examined by a doctor who was seeing me for the first time. He noted my bracelet and said he had not seen one of them for some time. Too bad.

I wear it to remind myself that my wife survived lung cancer 14 years ago. I need that reminder because she is, today, so full of joy and energy, it is hard to believe she once had an entire lobe of her left lung removed. And, I wear it out of appreciation to Lance Armstrong for all he has done to raise awareness for cancer research.

Finally, I wear it out of admiration for Armstrong as a cyclist. If, indeed, his blood enriching activity was legally prohibited, he should not have done it. If, indeed he was lying about that activity, that was wrong. But, if President Bill Clinton could argue about the definition of the word "is", surely Armstrong could argue as to whether what he was doing was really "doping".

In any event, that is not why he won the Tour de France seven times. He won because he had the will and determination to keep struggling on, all those many, many days of racing in heat and windy chill, sun and rain, uphill and down. He never quit. He was/is a true champion.

Yes, I m an old man. You decide if I am opinionated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Long live Lance Armstrong, Sam Bradley and Joanna Bradley. :-)