Sunday, June 08, 2014

Just Watch!


In the summer of 1937, when I was inching toward my ninth birthday, my grandfather, for whom I was named, was dying from cancer. One afternoon, the adults in the family were gathered around his bedside, when he summoned me. I loved my grandfather, a tall, gentle man. That demeanor belied the rough and tumble life he had led.

Born in 1862, before the Civil War had reached most of the bloodiest battles that would be fought, he grew up in Kentucky, then followed the frontier to Texas, and later to Oklahoma, where he participated (unsuccessfully) in the run for land in the "Cherokee Strip".

When I reached his bedside, there were hugs, and conversation which I no longer remember. Then, my grandfather said he had something he wanted me to have, and he gave me his gold pocket watch.

When I was sixteen, I carried the watch for some time, but eventually the mainspring broke and I put the watch in a drawer for safe keeping.

In 1968, my father, like my grandfather, died from cancer. Upon his death, my mother gave me my Dad's gold pocket watch. I placed that watch in the drawer with my grandfather's watch, and there the two watches have lain for forty six years. Somehow I had it in my mind that neither of the watches worked.

Recently, I became acquainted with a man who is a professional horologist, i.e., a watchmaker. I had called him to repair my grandfather clock, which task he completed in about five minutes. I was so impressed, I asked him if he would take a look at a couple of old pocket watches.

He confirmed that the mainspring was broken in my grandfather's watch. We are now trying to find a replacement main spring for a watch made in 1904. Then, the horologist examined my father's watch and showed me that that watch was not broken and seemed to be running normally.

I am astounded that after forty six idle years, that watch now keeps perfect time. I set that watch by the Official U.S., N.I.S.T. Time Clock, and re-check it each morning. To my great surprise if keeps time to the second!

As a former broadcaster, that degree of accuracy is important to me. My friends are often amused at my insistence on accuracy in a timepiece. What amuses me is that once all gentlemen carried a highly accurate watch. Another surprise is that both my Levi and my Wrangler blue jeans, and even my cargo shorts are still made with a watch pocket!

No comments: