Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hell phones...

I walked into a public restroom and immediately heard a man's voice, loud and animated. But there was no one else in the room. That puzzled me until I realized some guy was sitting on one of the johns, door closed, having a conversation on his cell phone! Please! Is there no situation in human behavior that can take priority to a telephone conversation? If the guy's friend were there with him, would he have him stand inside the stall so their conversation could continue uninterrupted?

Standing on the sidewalk a woman walked close to me and started talking. Not understanding the relevance of what she said, I responded, "I beg your pardon." There was no response from her... then I realized she had one of those cell phones attached to the side of her head. It was covered by her hair, almost invisible. How do they dial a number on those things?

I was in an examining room at the doctor's office, explaining something or other to the doctor. He suddenly stood up, removed his (apparently vibrating) cell phone from his pocket, and left the room, talking to some unseen caller. Had that call been to an old-fashioned wired phone, a receptionist would have answered, explained that the doctor was with a patient and taken a message.

I hate cell phones. Some years ago I signed up for cell phones for my wife and I, realizing the advantage of instant communication from wherever we may be. But when we were far out on the desert or in a mountain forest where emergency communication could be lifesaving, my cell had no service.

Due to impaired hearing, when I did receive a call I had trouble understanding the caller. Then I started receiving text messages relative to my horoscope (pure nonsense in my opinion), which I had to pay for! I called the cell provider and arranged to ban text messages to my number.

Finally I realized I was neither sending or receiving calls with my cell phone, so I was paying a monthly fee for the privilege of remembering to keep the thing's battery charged! I cancelled my service.

Enough of my stories of rude cell phone behavior - you can fill in your own experiences!

I believe cell phones are the worst piece of technology ever invented. I hope I live long enough to see the day when everyone agrees and the use of cell phones in public goes the way of CB radio. Can I hear a 10-4, good buddy?

No comments: